Tuesday, May 26, 2009

"Sabores do Mar"

Recently, I went to a restaurant called "Sabores do Mar" to celebrate my certificate of portuguese culture and language with a few members of my family. Located right in front of the beach near the capital of Portugal, Lisbon. There is a balcony-terrrase on the first floor of the restaurant which provides the clients with a marvellous view on the beach and the ocean where the fishing boats were fishing in the horizon. This lookout gives also the opportunity of eating al fresco. Moreover, the air is fulfilled with the delicate and traditional scent of sea.

The interior of the place is decorated with nautic motives without exageration. Wood is privileged over other materials and ropes and nets, reminding the ones used in fishing boats, are hung here and there. However, what surprised me the most was this immense aquarium situated in a corner of the restaurant containing the a wide array of fresh fish used in the meals. The setting of the tables is elegant in a casual way which endows the place with a touch of portuguese traditions and conviviality. The result of this is not only a warm atmosphere, but also a peaceful ambiance where people can make themselves at ease.

The menu is sophisticatedly written in Portuguese, but also in English offering a great selection of local meals based on fresh seafood like crabs, shellfishes, clams, prawns, etc. Obviously, the restaurant proposes especially for the young a variety of easy and more basic dishes. Furthermore, the customers can see the workers coming directly from the beach with the still alive fish to supply the restaurant. It can seem a little bit startling for some people, but personally I loved the fact of seeing the provenance of the products and I was certain that the food was not only fresh, but local and traditionally made on the spot. The servings are generous and enticingly presented. I was more than satiated at the end of the dinner with an exquisite home made meal. The dessserts are also made in the restaurant I could not find " Movenpick" ice cream, instead I could taste a well-known Portuguese dessert that my grandma used to make when I was a child. Moreover, the food is full of flavour bringing back memories of authentic meals cooked in my childhood.

The service is professional and friendly, attentive to the customers without being constantly intrusive during the dinner which allowed me to appreciate fully. One thing that I found myself delighted was that the waiting staff is knowledgeable about the menu and can help the client in its choices. In addition, they are efficient, I did not grew impatient since the waiting time between the different servings is not too long.

To sum up, I recommend this restaurant without any hesitation. Nevertheless, I have to point out that it is a little bit expensive. However, it stays affordable. Considering the quality of the ingredients and the aromas which emanate from the food and whet the appetite, in addition to the incredible taste, it is definetely worth it.

1 comment:

  1. Elodie, this is a beautifully written and indeed, enticing review. After reading it to Phil, he said, "I want to go there!". With only some minor editing, this could be published in any magazine or newspaper. Well done!
    What particularly impresses me is your ability to paint a picture with your use of colourful imagery, and impressive use of vocab - particularly descriptive adjectives.
    Your use of linking words is very effective, as is your paragraphing, leading to an extremely well-organised piece of text that encourages the reader to keep reading.
    If you produced this in the exam, it would, in my opinion, be worthy of an A.
    (Rather than list any grammar errors here, I will print this out and we can discuss it in class. Besides, I want to make sure the others see your work!)

    ReplyDelete