Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Noosa "Public Transport"

I have been in Noosa for nearly five months and I have really been appreciating the area, however I have an unique objection to that: the so called public transport of Noosa. Personally, I have had some misadventures with whatever related to these transports. I am sure that I am not the only one, at least it has provided my friends and myself with a topic of conversation. I spent hours debating on the total incompetence of the public transport.

We all know that we have to pay a careful attention to the timetables knowing that a bus comes every half an hour for the luckiest of ourselves, but most of the time we have to wait for another hour. Honestly, I think that this timetable is completely useless, bus drivers do as they please. I remember walking in direction to the busstop at least ten minutes before it was supposed to arrive and it was on the verge of leaving the busstop I could run as fast as possible to catch it, but it was already too late or sometimes the bus does not come at all. Why do I have to make an effort with the public transport if instead of spending thirty minutes and more to reach a destination, I can be in ten minutes exactly wherever I want with a car? We do not have to forget that the buses do not lead us to the spot that we really want we have to count an extra ten to fifteen minutes of walk. Well, I suppose this is what people call to be environmentally friendly, but it can get truly on my nerves. In addition, it really sets me back in my budget because the price of the ticket is exorbitantly expensive. But what put me down once, was that a bus driver made me to get off the bus because I had only fifty dollars and no change for the ticket. Why should I be obstinate to use the public transport if there are only drawbacks to it? and what about the fact that the last bus going from my house to the town centre is at six in the evenning? How can I do if I want to drink something in the evening or simply go out in a nightclub? Do all local teenagers have a car at their disposal?

Nevertheless, the main problem is situated somewhere else. How come that Noosa's translink is so backwards compared to other small towns where the buses come more frequently and are definitely cheaper? The council of the Sunshine Coast is oblivious about the matter and has been turning a deaf ear to the several complaints ro develop the network of the public transport. In the meantime, willing people as myself endeavour to use the deficient public trasnports of Noosa.

2 comments:

  1. Elodie, you've done very well at this letter of complaint task. Your writing is suitably forceful in its tone, without being offensive. You have also given examples to back up your complaints.
    I'm also impressed by the way you have used the technique we discussed in class: addressing the reader directly with questions. Well done!
    And of course, your vocab is at its usual, impressive level ... including some great idioms e.g. "turn a deaf ear"
    Naturally there are some grammar issues, but I'll print this out and we can discuss them in class.
    Again, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand you about what you're complaining. I made, or heard, nearly the same experiences with the public transport, here in Noosa (Once I was forced to take a taxi, because this "overly punctual" bus was already gone and it was the last one!).

    However, I've been using it for about 3 months now and generally the buses drove nearly at the right time... Furthermore, you claim about the nonexisting "nightbuses". Can I propose you the busline nr. 620? On Friday and Saturday there are buses until 2 o'clock in the morning! (Yeah, I know, this only helps you if you live near the busstops..

    To sum up, we should be happy that Noosa has such a public transport supply and I am looking forward that they will increase the still existing problems.

    ReplyDelete