Tuesday, April 28, 2009

My Ideal Home

The ways how a home is furnished and arranged can reveal a huge amount of traits of the owner's personality, as well as the kind of habits the owner has. You create your home and the atmosphere that you live in depending on your tastes. I am sure that when you visit a home from someone else, more than once you thought that it suits the owner down to the ground. Indeed, unconsciously people furnish their home as they are.

If I had my own ideal home, an essential point would be the sunlight. Windows would be gigantic to let natural light in as much as possible. I know that it has a strong impact on my mood. Then, my bedroom would be located in the East. In that way, I would benefit from the sunlight in the morning to wake up in a beautiful and comfortable atmosphere. It would lighten my day. In contrast, the living room would be inundated by sunrays in the afternoon due to the fact that I would probably spend most of my time there.

In relation to the furniture, I will avoid to have to many things. I want my home not only to be stylish, but also to be practical. Efficiency is one quality that I advocate in my everyday life, this quality should be directly reflected on my environment. Space would be a priority, I do not want useless pieces of furniture to be on my way. The furniture would be modern, but at the same time with a touch of tradition, materials as wood and glass would be privileged to others. Even if I am open to the evolving world, I am guided by my principles coming from mother's education. The colors would be pale from blue tones in my room giving the idea of a haven of peace. Sleeping time is crucial for me. However, the common areas as the living room and the kitchen would be a gradation of yellows to reds without forgetting the oranges, these are warm colors and convey the ideas of well-being and conviviality. The decoration would be simple some paintings of the Impressionist movement in the manner of Monet and some souvenirs coming from remote areas and former trips from all over the world. It means that I have a strong taste for travel and adventure, as well as my curiosity for other cultures. The paintings show that I privilege moods and impressions and that I rely on my emotions to make my decisions.

This would be perfectly my Ideal Home. The overall feeling would be tidiness, a life with no artificiality. You could learn all that about me if you pay attention to these kind of details in this Ideal Home of mine. In observing other homes you can find more depth in someone's personality than the person itself wants to show. Homes are our microcosms that we can control according to our wishes. A place that belongs only to ourselves and describes our beings, where our unfulfilled dreams and passions can be realised and we eventually claim out loud "Home sweet home".

1 comment:

  1. Elodie - this is an extremely well written article, and would be worthy of publication!
    You've made good use of some idioms, as well as advanced vocab. I'm also impressed by your ability to express sophisticated ideas in a warm and engaging style.
    Just a few things to be aware of:
    "the way (that) a home is furnished"
    "a huge amount about the owner's.."
    "other people's homes..... more than once you've thought"
    "For this reason my bedroom" (better than "then")
    "I would avoid having too many ...."
    "reflected in/by my"
    "to be in my way"
    "my mother's upbringing/ the way my mother brought me up"
    "such as" - not "as"
    "It means" doesn't usually work as a link ... you could say " revealing my taste for travel ..."
    "perfect" or "ideal" but not both together
    "the person themself"

    Great ending too Elodie! (I'd be surprised if you didn't get an "A" for this in an exam - but at very least a "B"

    ReplyDelete