Tuesday, March 31, 2009

A Special Adventure

I am not a very adventurous person by nature, but the most adventurous feeling that I have ever felt was when I came to Australia. It was the first time that I was leaving so far away from my hometown and my family and for such a long time. I prepared this trip with great excitement during the academic year doing everything by myself. Australia was a kind of a dream I knew that I would be independent and totally on my own in a country that is reputed for being one of te most extraodinary countries in relation to the scenery including fauna and flora. I worked after school and during the summer to spare money for this big adventure. I really was looking forward to going.

However, I was so enthralled about this that I did not bargain for the drawbacks of such a trip. I remember being at the airport and realising that I will be alone without any support that I will miss my family and my friends. Suddenly, a feeling of great loneliness came over me as a prediction.

What is more, my mom, since she works at the airport, could come with me in front of the gate and she broke down at that very moment when I had to enter in the plane. I felt upset because it was my fault if she was in this state. She was absolutely terrified that it could happen something to me in the other side of the world and be helpless.

Later, being in the plane I found myself torn between the desire of cancelling everything and the wish of completing my ambition.

Eventually, I arrived in Asutralia safe and I have no regrets at all. I am not saying that I have not felt lonely and depressed sometimes because it would be a lie, but I have been experiencing not only extraordinary, but also unique moments in someone's life. Independence and maturity are what this trip in Australia is bringing to me. Two outstanding and necessary qualities to survive in our society nowadays.

1 comment:

  1. Elodie, in your writing, as with your speaking, you express your ideas and feelings extremely well.
    A few things to note below - but really Elodie, you can be proud of this ... very effective use of vocab throughout!

    the first time (that) I would be living so far .....
    prepared for
    to save money
    realising I would be alone .... and I would miss
    leave out "as a prediction" -
    my mom was able to ... (avoid "could" in past)
    enter/board the plane
    (actually, a stronger word for "upset" is "distraught")
    leave out "if"
    terrified something would happen to me on .... and I would be helpless
    leave out "being"
    desire to cancel
    fulfill my ambition
    in my life

    ReplyDelete